5. ‘Court regarding Standard Lessons towards the Section away from Buninyong and you can Ballarat’, declaration, This new Superstar (Ballarat, Victoria), 19 February 1857, p. 2; Oxford English Dictionary (Third Version, ), s.v. Cousin, n.
6. J. Wright (ed.), The fresh English Dialect Dictionary (London, 1898), vol. 1, s.v. Relative, 5.2, p. 750; J. Ruano-Garcia, ‘On brand new colonial factor in Joseph Wright’s English Dialect Dictionary’, Around the globe Journal from Lexicography, 32 (2019), 38–57 within p. 43.
8. T. Q. Sofa, Eastern Cornwall Terminology, inside the Glossary away from Words in use from inside the Cornwall (London: English Dialect Community, 1880), pp. 70–step one.
nine. C. Childs, ‘The social and you will ethical update of the working miners from Cornwall and you can Devon’, Western Briton and Cornwall Marketer, twenty-eight March 1862, p. 8.
eleven. S. P. Schwartz, ‘Carrying out brand new cult regarding “Relative Jack”: Cornish miners within the Latin America 1812–1848 additionally the development of a global mining work erica Enterprise, on line report, p. 33.
Courtney, West Cornwall Terms, during the Glossary from Terms and conditions being used into the Cornwall (London: English Dialect Area, 1880), pp
twelve. G. Verrall, composing just like the Elfin, A beneficial Cornish Ghost Story, a good Night of Escapades on Devil’s Stile, or, Jack Trevose and you can Mary Trevean, next edn (Truro, 1862), pp. 3–5.
This was escort Jackson said in the back of C
thirteen. W. B. Forfar, The latest Bal, or, ‘Tes an excellent Bra’ Keenly Lode, Relative Jan’s Tale (Helston, 1850), reprinted in the Cornish Reports, within the Prose and you may Verse, of the Various Authors, With a good Glossary (Truro, 1867), pp. 55–six, to check out OED 3, s.v. Cousin, letter., under ‘Cousin Jan’. It collection has a great many other tales of Relative Jan, and additionally Cousin Jan’s Courtship and Relationships (Truro, 1859); into the brand-new book times, come across W. W. Skeat (ed.), Good bibliographical range of the new functions which were authored, or are recognized to occur within the MS., illustrative of the numerous languages of Englishpiled by the people in this new English Dialect Neighborhood (London area, 1873), pp. 21–2. Mention, ‘Cousin Jenny’ isn’t really handled next here; Rowse, The fresh Cousin Jacks, p. nine, implies it is an excellent ‘later addition’, additionally the newsprint info appear to show which, the first instance I have come across coming from 1868 in the New Brisbane Courier, twenty five July 1868, p. 5: ‘Cousin Jacks and you can Cousin Jennies (an excellent nick-label provided to miners and their spouses from the Burra Burra exploit, are mostly Cornish) has an excellent barbarian custom belonging to a keen unenlightened point in time. ‘.
16. H. J. Daniel, The brand new Cornish Thalia, Are Amazing Cornish Poems, Illustrative of your Cornish Dialect (Devonport: W. Wood, n.d.). Mansfield Ingleby’s This new Shakespeare Fabrication (London: John Russell Smith, 1859), p. thirty-two of ‘Catalogue out of instructions published otherwise ended up selling by the John Russell Smith’ appended for the volume, which is mentioned from inside the an ad out of twenty-eight July 1860 in the the latest Cornish Times, whether it is actually also known as ‘just published’; as a result the fresh notional big date regarding ‘1870?’ allotted to they during the J. Milroy & L. Milroy (eds), Genuine English: New Sentence structure regarding English Dialects from the British Countries (London: Routledge, 1993), p. 326, will likely be overlooked.
17. H. J. Daniel, Mirth getting “One and all;” or, Comical Stories and you can Drawings (Devonport: W. Wood, letter.d.), advertised about West Briton and you can Cornwall Marketer, 7 March 1862, p. 8, and you can H. J. Daniel, Mary Anne’s Community (continued) and you may Relative Jack’s Activities (Devonport: W. Wood, letter.d.), advertised in the Cornish Moments, 13 June 1863, p. step 1.
20. T. R. Higham, A dialogue Anywhere between Tom Thomas and Bill Bilkey, One or two Cornish Miners (Truro, 1866), reprinted within the Cornish Stories, inside the Prose and you will Verse, in the Cornish Dialect (Truro, 1890), pp. 51–2.